The Academic Council is a body that coordinates research and teaching process activities within Konstantin Preslavsky University of Shumen. The Council includes 43 members who are full-time lecturers, Bachelor, Master and PhD students and administrative staff at Shumen University. The Academic Council conducts open sessions that are legitimate if at least 2/3 of the members are present. The Academic Council accepts its decisions with an ordinary majority of the present members’ open vote unless otherwise decided by the Council or stated by the Law. As a rule the Rector is the Chair of the Academic Council meetings. On some occasion it is possible for Vice-rectors to chair the sessions.
According to article 30, paragraph (1) of the Law on Higher Education and Shumen University Internal Regulations, the Academic Council:
- Outlines the educational policy of Shumen University, approves the mandate programme and controls its implementation.
- Accepts Shumen University annual report.
- Makes suggestions on the occasions envisaged in article 9, paragraph 3, section 3 of the Law on Higher Education.
- Takes decisions for establishing, reorganizing or closing of departments and ancillary units at Shumen University.
- Decides on majors, educational forms and degrees under which the educational process is being implemented and defines the number of students that are to be admitted in compliance with the demand of the main structural units’ representatives.
- Approves or amends the qualification characteristics and the syllabi of Vocational Bachelor, Bachelor and Master Degree students at Shumen University.
- Outlines Shumen University’s policy on scientific development and solves basic problems of research organization and contents.
- Decides on the General Council members at Shumen University and how the latter are to be elected.
- Determines the Human Resources policy at Shumen University, approves job profiles of the teaching staff and accepts the Evaluation Regulations.
- Vice-rectors are elected with a secret vote once the Rector makes the nominations.
- Takes decisions about agreements with universities and scientific organizations.
- Annually accepts Shumen University budget and controls its realization.
- Awards“Doctor Honoris Causa” title.
- Accepts the rules and regulations on specific educational, scientific and creative activities at Shumen University.
- Approves an Evaluating System and a Quality Assurance System for the educational process and the academic staff at Shumen University in compliance with article 6, paragraph 4 of the Law on Higher Education and controls its implentation and enhancement.
- Accepts Evaluating Regulations on academic and administrative staff attestation.
- Accepts rules on: the teaching process organization (contact hours of lecturers and students), scientific research organization, academic staff qualification, qualification of people with different educational degrees, the internal financial ballance, growth of tangible assets, as well as other internal regulations on Shumen University activity.
- As per article 75 of the Law on Higher Education applies to the National Evaluation and Accreditation Agency for starting an accreditation procedure for Shumen University.
- At the suggestion of the respective structural units’ representatives elects and dismisses the directors of educational and scientific centres, in cases when the latter is envisaged in their rules and regulations.
- Discusses and approves the reports of all structural units on regular basis at Shumen University in complianceaccording to article 6, paragraph 2 and 3.
Number of members
|Faculty of Humanities||6|
|Faculty of Natural Sciences||5|
|Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Sciences||4|
|Faculty of Education||6|
|Faculty of Technical Sciences||3|
Department of Information, Qualification and Lifelong Learning-Varna
|Undergraduates and PhD students||6|
MEMBERS OF THE ACADEMIC COUNCIL
(term of office from 2019 to 2023, General Assembly held on 25th of January 2019)
Prof. Dr. Habil Georgi Kolev, PhD – President of Academic Council and Rector of Konstantin Preslavsky University of Shumen
1. Veselin Bozhkov Panayotov, PhD
2. Prof. Konstantin Trendafilov Konstantinov, PhD
3. Prof. Svetlana Yordanova Nedelcheva, PhD
4. Prof. Stefan Marinov Minkov, PhD
5. Prof. Stefka Yancheva Petkova-Kaleva, PhD
6. Prof. Todor Raychev Todorov- PhD
7. Tsveteslava Veselinova Ignatova, PhD –Ivanova
8. Dragomir Valchev Marchev, PhD
9. Prof. Petinka Radeva Galcheva, PhD
10. Prof. Rositsa Tsankova Vladeva, PhD
11. Prof. Rositsa Dimitrova Davidova-Madzharova, PhD
12. Prof. Vezhdi Hasanov, PhD
13. Prof. Cornelia Todorova Tsoneva, PhD
14. Prof. Radostina Petrova Encheva, PhD
15. Prof. Teodosi Kirilov Teodosiev, PhD
16. Dimitar Nikolov Cholakov
17. Prof. Ekaterina Lyubomirova Lutskanova, PhD
18. Prof. Rosica Petrova Mihailova, PhD
19. Prof Chavdar Georgiev Sotirov, PhD
20. Prof. Chavdar Nikolaev Stoychev, PhD
21. Assoc Prof. Yanna Pavlova Ruskova, PhD
22. Prof. Hristo Atanasov Hristov, PhD
23. Prof. Ognyan Momchilov Fetfov, PhD
24. Prof. Neli Stoycheva Dimitrova, PhD
25. Prof. Violeta Ivanova Kyurchiska, PhD
26. Nikolay Ivanov Yankov, DSc
27. Nikolay Nikolov Ph.D – Assist. Rector
28. Anka Kamenova Stoyanova – Chief Accountant
29. Dona-Maria Stanislavova Dermendzhieva – 1st year,Bachelor degree, Pedagogy of Teaching Fine Arts
30. Ivanka Filipova Blagoeva – 1st year, Bachelor Degree, Social Consulting
31. Simona Valentinova Vasileva – 1st year, Bachelor Degree, Innovations in Preschool Education
32. Simona Ilkova Vulkova – 4th year Bachelor Degree, Ecology and Environmental Protection
33. Stela Todorova Ivanova – 2nd year, Bachelor Degree, Biology and Physics
34. Teodora Filipova Nedelcheva, 1st year Bachelor Degree, Social Consulting